A comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers.
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. It can be covered as a series of short sessions or as an intensive week-long course.
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls, use of flares, safety harnesses, life jackets and life rafts